Hope you are all well and staying safe! On behalf of AAF Hawaii and our Board of Directors we welcome you to the online 2021 Pele Awards Show!
This past year has no doubt been unprecedented and stressful, but at the same time an opportunity to rise up and take on new challenges. Congratulations go out to all participants from Hawaii’s advertising industry as well as our amazing students for finding new ways to push the envelope and be creative.
A big ‘mahalo’ also goes out to District 13 and all those behind the scenes who worked extremely hard to make this event happen.
Hope you enjoy the show and we look forward to gathering together in person to celebrate in future.
2021—2022, President, AAF Hawaii
Owner, Element 8
It’s my 11th year of chairing the Pele Awards and we couldn’t have done it with all of your support of the program.
Despite 2021, continuing to be a pandemic year, here’s a summary of the entries that were received:
- Professional = Down 8%
- College = Up 37%
- High School = Up 55%
We began this year’s process in September 2020 with getting this year’s lead creative team from Kapiolani Community College’s New Media Arts Program.
In late March 2021, we had our first ever Virtual Pele Judging for our professional and college entrants (vs in-person). And because it was virtual, we specifically chose Judges that Judged in the last 3-5 years that were familiar with our Hawaii Advertising and Design industry.
And, for the 2nd time in our 40-year history, we are hosting a virtual show via FB Live.
I’d like to say Much Mahalo to the following:
- 2021 Lead Co-Creative Directors, Ariana Enomoto & Tomy Takemura
- Design Mentor, Stacey Leong
- Theme Mentors, Noah Tom and Brad Shin
- Webmaster and Collateral, Melissa Lum
- Website Data Entry Support, Dominic Nobriga
- Kapiolani Community College New Media Arts Program Contact, Stephen Harris.
- Kapiolani Community College New Media Arts Program
- 2021 Pele Judges: Jeremy Wirth; Amy Hood; Roz Romney; Mary Knight; & Fabian Herrmann.
- HonBlue, our official Pele Awards pick up and drop off location partner.
- Kinetic Productions, James Sereno & Ryan Kawamoto, Virtual Pele Show Partner.
- Jasmine Cho, 2021 High School Pele Chair
- Our 2021 High School Judges: Tim Huynh; Ric Noyle; Ryan Kawamoto; Stephanie Chang; Malia Wisch; Steve Kiyabu; Kelii Grace; Jo Archibald; Jacqueline Davey; Jason Cutinella; Cheyne Gallarde; Matthew Honda & Allan Payne.
- Jason Cutinella of NMG Network, College & High School Presenting Sponsor
- Wall-To-Wall Studios, 2020 Lead Creative Agency who has been “on call” helping us out throughout the year. Special Mahalo to Kristina Rau, Anthony Yarbrough and Angelo Ashmore.
- AAF-Hawaii and Ad 2 Hawaii, presenting club sponsors
- And countless others for helping me “make” the Pele Awards season happen each year.
Wishing you all to stay well and please take care.
Pele Awards Chair